Current:Home > NewsFastexy:New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges -AssetTrainer
Fastexy:New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 05:52:19
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A woman who uses a wheelchair due to a spinal injury has accused the county that includes Las Vegas of unfairly targeting people with disabilities under its new ban on Fastexystanding or stopping while crossing pedestrian bridges on the Strip, according to a federal lawsuit filed Friday.
“Making criminals out of ordinary people who stop for even a few moments, like our client who has to stop periodically because she uses a manual wheelchair, is reckless,” said Athar Haseebullah, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada.
The ACLU’s legal challenge comes one month after the ordinance took effect in Clark County. The measure makes it a misdemeanor to stop, stand or engage in activity “that causes another person to stop” on Strip pedestrian bridges. That also includes up to 20 feet (6 meters) surrounding connected stairs, elevators and escalators.
Violators of the ordinance could face up to six months in jail or a $1,000 fine.
The ban doesn’t include standing or stopping if a person is waiting to use an elevator, stairway or escalator, but it doesn’t exempt people who stop due to a disability.
According to the lawsuit, Lisa McAllister, who can’t stand or walk due to a spinal injury, often stops unexpectedly either because her arms are tired, her wheelchair is malfunctioning or her path is blocked by other people.
Because of that, the lawsuit says, the ordinance “has effectively denied” McAllister and other people with disabilities the use of pedestrian bridges on the Strip because they cannot always cross without stopping. It also says that the ordinance has deterred McAllister, a Las Vegas resident, from returning to the Strip.
Visitors often stop on pedestrian bridges in the famed tourist corridor to take photos amid the glittery casino lights or to watch street performers.
The ACLU of Nevada is asking a judge to strike down the ordinance, which it says violates not only the rights of people with disabilities but also rights protected by the First Amendment, including protesting or performing on the street.
“Clark County has banned activities that receive the highest protections under the First Amendment,” the lawsuit states.
A spokesperson for the county said Friday that the county doesn’t comment on pending litigation. But in a statement last month, the county said that the ordinance isn’t meant to target street performers or people who stop to take pictures, but rather to increase public safety by ensuring a continuous flow of pedestrian traffic across the bridges.
The measure “will help to ensure our world-class tourism destination remains a safe place for people to visit and transverse,” the statement said.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Matthew Gaudreau's Pregnant Wife Madeline Shares What’s Keeping Her Going After His Tragic Death
- Man killed after allegedly shooting at North Dakota officers following chase
- Aaron Judge home run pace: Tracking all of Yankees slugger's 2024 homers
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- A decision on a major policy shift on marijuana won’t come until after the presidential election
- US reports 28th death caused by exploding Takata air bag inflators that can spew shrapnel
- When is 'The Bachelorette' finale? Date, time, finalists, where to watch Jenn Tran's big decision
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Murder on Music Row: Predatory promoters bilk Nashville's singing newcomers
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Overnight shootings along Seattle-area interstate injure 4
- As students return to Columbia, the epicenter of a campus protest movement braces for disruption
- Suspect in custody after series of shootings left multiple people injured along I-5 near Seattle
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- US reports 28th death caused by exploding Takata air bag inflators that can spew shrapnel
- Trial expected to focus on shooter’s competency in 2021 Colorado supermarket massacre
- Horoscopes Today, September 1, 2024
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
US reports 28th death caused by exploding Takata air bag inflators that can spew shrapnel
Mountain lion attacks 5-year-old at Southern California park and is euthanized
Trump says he will vote against Florida's abortion rights ballot amendment | The Excerpt
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Hundreds of ‘Game of Thrones’ props are up for auction, from Jon Snow’s sword to dragon skulls
Next eclipse in less than a month: When is the annular 'ring of fire' and who will see it?
Heat wave to bake Southwest; temperatures could soar as high as 120 degrees