Current:Home > MarketsCiting security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices -AssetTrainer
Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:35:05
TORONTO — Canada announced Monday it is banning TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices, reflecting widening worries from Western officials over the Chinese-owned video sharing app.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it might be a first step to further action or that it might be it.
"I suspect that as government takes the significant step of telling all federal employees that they can no longer use TikTok on their work phones many Canadians from business to private individuals will reflect on the security of their own data and perhaps make choices," Trudeau said.
"I'm always a fan of giving Canadians the information for them to make the right decisions for them," he added.
The European Union's executive branch said last week it has temporarily banned TikTok from phones used by employees as a cybersecurity measure.
The EU's action follows similar moves in the U.S., where more than half of the states and Congress have banned TikTok from official government devices.
Last week, Canada's federal privacy watchdog and its provincial counterparts in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec announced an investigation to delve into whether the app complies with Canadian privacy legislation.
TikTok is wildly popular with young people, but its Chinese ownership has raised fears that Beijing could use it to collect data on Western users or push pro-China narratives and misinformation. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company that moved its headquarters to Singapore in 2020
TikTok faces intensifying scrutiny from Europe and America over security and data privacy amid worries that the app could be used to promote pro-Beijing views or sweep up users' information. It comes as China and the West are locked in a wider tug of war over technology ranging from spy balloons to computer chips.
Canadian Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the federal government will also block the app from being downloaded on official devices in the future.
Fortier said in statement the Chief Information Officer of Canada determined that it "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."
The app will be removed from Canadian government issued phones on Tuesday.
"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said.
"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."
Recent media reports have also raised concerns about potential Chinese interference in recent Canadian elections, prompting opposition parties to call for a public inquiry into alleged foreign election interference.
"It's curious that the Government of Canada has moved to block TikTok on government-issued devices—without citing any specific security concern or contacting us with questions—only after similar bans were introduced in the EU and the US," a TikTok spokesperson said in a email.
The company is always available to discuss the privacy and security of Canadians, the statement said. "Singling out TikTok in this way does nothing to achieve that shared goal," the email said. "All it does is prevent officials from reaching the public on a platform loved by millions of Canadians."
veryGood! (8699)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 2024 Paris Olympics: Surfers Skip Cardboard Beds for Floating Village in Tahiti
- Joe Burrow haircut at Bengals training camp prompts hilarious social media reaction
- Karlie Kloss Makes Rare Comment About Taylor Swift After Attending Eras Tour
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- SBC fired policy exec after he praised Biden's decision, then quickly backtracked
- New Zealand reports Canada after drone flown over Olympic soccer practice
- Democratic delegates cite new energy while rallying behind Kamala Harris for president
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- The Founder For Starry Sky Wealth Management Ltd
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Find Out Which America's Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Stars Made the 2024 Squad
- New Michigan law makes it easier for prisons to release people in poor health
- Kamala Harris' economic policies may largely mirror Biden's, from taxes to immigration
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Democratic delegates cite new energy while rallying behind Kamala Harris for president
- Elon Musk Says Transgender Daughter Vivian Was Killed by Woke Mind Virus
- Missouri prison ignores court order to free wrongfully convicted inmate for second time in weeks
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
SBC fired policy exec after he praised Biden's decision, then quickly backtracked
Simone Biles won’t be required to do all four events in Olympic gymnastics team final
The Founder For Starry Sky Wealth Management Ltd
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Hailee Steinfeld and Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen go Instagram official in Paris
Massachusetts issues tighter restrictions on access to homeless shelter system
Chet Hanks says he's slayed the ‘monster’: ‘I'm very much at peace’